What is the BYSO Board?
- The Bellevue Youth Symphony Orchestra (BYSO) Board of Directors is a group of 7 to 17 members with the following purpose: to advise, govern, oversee policy and direction, and assist with the leadership and general promotion of BYSO so as to support the organization’s mission and needs.
Who comprises the BYSO Board?
- Most, but not all, of the current BYSO Board members are parents of current or former BYSO musicians. The BYSO Board is not limited to BYSO parents — any interested and committed individual with a desire to help BYSO is a potential BYSO Board member.
What are some of the specific duties of the BYSO Board?
- Among other functions, the BYSO Board adopts and oversees the annual BYSO budget, reviews and provides advice on organization and program issues, and helps with fundraising, outreach, and promotion of the organization. The BYSO Board works closely with BYSO Executive Director and Music Director.
What is the meeting and time commitment for a BYSO Board member?
- The BYSO Board meets once a month for approx. 8 to 9 times a year on the third Thursday from 7 pm to approx. 8:30 or 9 pm via video conferencing or in person. Once a year in the fall, a BYSO Board of Directors’ retreat is held, usually on one weekend afternoon for a total of about 4-5 hours. Additional time is sometimes necessary and varies with the particular BYSO Board committee work and responsibilities and activities.
What is the length of term for a BYSO Board member?
- The length of term is 2 years, with the opportunity to serve additional terms upon Board approval.
Why consider becoming a BYSO Board member?
- BYSO Board members perform a vital role in helping BYSO operate as a successful organization. BYSO Board members gain experience in being a part of a governing/advisory group for a community non-profit organization. BYSO Board members have the opportunity to help direct and guide future BYSO functions and activities.
How to get more information about being a BYSO Board member?
- Please feel free to email email@example.com to be put in contact a member of the BYSO Board Nominating Committee. If you know of a potentially-interested individual, please feel free to pass along this contact information.